JOB – To photograph some spoof ads inspired by Cavalia of TSN Radio host Jason Gregor of “The Jason Gregor Show”
SHOOT NOTES –
1. Have been shooting for Jason for the past decade. Being familiar with a subject is both good and bad. The Good is because you are familiar with each other and each party knows what to expect on a shoot. The Bad comes with the fact that you are familiar with each other. At times things can get a little too laid back and result less than professional results. I am lucky Jason is a pro and is always ready to work.
2. The most important element to this shoot was that the horse HAD to be White. Like the ones on the Cavalia ADs. We found one at an equestrian riding school in Edmonton Alberta.
3. I can tell you from past experience shooting horses with large lights is never a good idea. Horses get spooked easily. So I elected to use small reflectors on my lights and keep them compact as possible. There was also a lengthy process of bringing the lights into the pen, setting them up and letting the horse get used to them before shooting.
4. Jason grew up on a farm. (He still has a farm) So he was comfortable around horses and knew how to ride bare back, however I needed the horse to stay in one spot for my lighting. The only way to do this was to have its rider HOLD the horse in place and remove the rider from the image in post production.
5. I remember thinking, If this horse goes crazy because of my lights and kills Gregor, thank god I have 2 million in liability insurance.